Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sometimes you need to wait a few years

I am a sucker for a memoir about someone going for their dreams - especially if it involves food, farming, or travel.  This book involved all three - and I really didn't like it.  <fizzle>

Barnheart is about a woman who moved to Vermont and starts a farm of her own.  I wanted to root for her, but I just ended up frustrated.  It could have used WAY more perspective and editing.

The primary aggravation was her judginess of her neighbors.  She gets so bent out of shape about folks who don't live there all the time or farm their lands.  But when neighbors start questioning some of her choices, it's so breathlessly indignant.

I could really relate to the longing she talked about - to already be living the life she wanted, to find a partner, to be doing things she so wanted to do.  But she lost me too many times with the smugness.

Seriously, I think she should have waited a few years before putting this one out there.  It might have given her a better point of view.


No comments:

Post a Comment